Checklist & Tips
Be Aware of Scams
- Solutions sounding too good to be true usually are.
- Be aware of predatory lending and DO NOT be a victim.
- Be aware of unscrupulous people who will take advantage of your troubles.
- Be aware of phony counseling agencies that charge large fees to perform services you can do for yourself with assistance from the sources listed in the directory above.
- Call United Way 2-1-1.
- Call or write your lender. Be honest about your situation.
- Stay in your home while you seek assistance.
- Make an appointment with a HUD-approved counselor at 1-800-355-2227 or with one of the approved counselors on the Foreclosure Info Directory Page