Healthy Homes

WHY SHOULD YOU BE CONCERNED?

People spend 90% of their time indoors. Some serious health problems may start at home. Did you know that your home might have hidden dangers to your health? Ask yourself the following questions:

  • Is the air in your home clean and healthy?
  • Do you or your children have breathing problems, like asthma and/or allergies?
  • Is there mold in your home?
  • Do you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?
  • Are there lead contaminants in your home?
  • Are the household products you are using making you sick?

The Healthy Home sections listed below will give you answers to questions like these and help you determine if your home is safe and healthy. Also listed are numerous links that may be helpful.


You will spend about half your life inside your home. Is the air in your home safe for your family to breathe? It is not always easy to tell. We see smoke and notice bad smells, but carbon monoxide, radon, mold spores, and other dangers can hide from our senses. Take these steps to help ensure better air quality in your home:  Read More...

Millions of children in the U.S. have asthma which makes it difficult to breathe.  It is the number one reason children miss school and go to the hospital. Asthma has no cure, but it can be controlled.

Even more people have simple allergies. Allergies are an unusual reaction to something, like food or a plant that is normally harmless. Persons with allergies suffer from a stuffy or runny nose, itching, and/or a rash.

Follow these steps to clear the air of allergens and asthma triggers:  Read More...

Mold is a living organism that produces tiny invisible spores in the air. When you breathe in the spores, you can experience health problems. Mold is almost everywhere, but you should try to avoid living where it grows.

You probably do not need to test your home for mold. Looking for evidence of water damage and visible mold growth should be a first step. There are no standards for acceptable levels of mold. If you know you have mold, spend your time and resources getting rid of it and solving the moisture problem causing it.

Read More...

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you can’t see, taste, feel, or smell. Over 500 people in the U.S. die from CO inhalation every year. Persons with CO poisoning display symptoms similar to the flu. People who survive often suffer brain damage, heart problems, or loss of sight or hearing. CO is particularly harmful to children, unborn babies, the elderly, and asthma sufferers.

To keep CO in your home under control, keep an eye on fuel-burning appliances. Most gas appliances that have been put in and taken care of properly meet safety standards. Check for improperly installed or unvented appliances. Watch out for these common sources of CO:  Read More...

Lead poisoning is a very serious health threat to children. Lead ingestion causes learning and behavioral problems, and can cause permanent damage to hearing and the nervous system.

Lead poses a particular risk to children because they often explore their environment with their mouths. They sometimes eat chips or dust of lead-based paint. Paint on your walls and window sills might contain lead. Drinking water sometimes contains lead from older water pipes. Old pottery and gasoline may also contain lead. Children who crawl on the floor, put toys in their mouths, or play in soil can be poisoned.

Read More...

Some common household products can be very dangerous to children:

  • bleach
  • rat poison
  • mothballs
  • charcoal
  • lighter fluid
  • oven cleaner
  • batteries
  • mercury thermometers
  • gas
  • oil
  • wood polish
  • toilet and drain cleaners
  • shoe polish
  • bug spray
  • and many other common household products

How are children harmed by these products?  

Read More...

Indoor Air Quality:


Asthma and Allergies:

For a full list of links and contact numbers click here.